Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Calendar Fun

Hello!! I have been MIA from the blogging world for a while... lots of school stuff in my house to take care of and then I just wanted two weeks of doing nothing while I recuperated from all that school stuff. I didn't get the two weeks of doing nothing and in fact I have gotten a lot done!! I'm just not good at doing nothing I guess. Haha!!

Today I have a Calendar to share with you all. If you frequent blogs, pinterest or other crafty sites you may have seen something similar to my Calendar. I've seen cute shadow box calendars here and there but the design I used is one I thought of myself. I didn't use a shadow box either. Here's what I did and how:






I started with a $1 frame and some wood planks from Michaels. I wanted to make a Calendar that was cute, fun and useful but also sturdy enough to withstand the choas that invites itself into my craft space which is why I added the little plank to the frame. 

First I covered the frame and plank with paper from Close to My Heart. I used the Chantilly paper pack to make my calendar. I used a spray adhesive on the paper then sealed with a matte spray. I'm not great with mod podge and I didn't want to practice at this moment but I know it would work in this situation too. After my paper was added I then attached the wood plank to the bottom of my frame in the center. Unfortunately I could not find planks that were the same length of my frame so if this bothers you I would suggest adding embellishments, little pearls maybe? Or going to a home improvement store and having them cut ones to fit your frame better. To attach the plank to the frame, I used tacky glue and then I used my staple gun just as back up reinforcement. The glue dried quickly and held pretty well so if you don't have a staple gun handy you could probably skip this step. I'm a power tool type of gal so I used my drill to drill holes in the top to hold my Months for the calendar. I don't expect everyone to have a drill so another solution would be to use sticky notes or repositionable glue so that you can remove months or you can just staple them or glue them on and rip off the sheets of paper each month...




I chose the picture frame for a reason - I do plan on putting a picture into my frame I just need to find the right one. Until then I went ahead and covered the front of my cardboard middle piece with some scrap paper from this Chantilly paper pack. I used my Cricut and the Close To My Heart Artiste and Art Philosophy cartridges to cut out the month tags, the blocks for the dates, the bow, and the 3D flowers at the bottom. I attached the Month tags using ribbon, one for each side so that I can just flip each month tag over when a new month rolls around. For the date I made these number blocks. On one it has a 0, 1, 2, 6, 7 and 8 on the other it's 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. I had to go through 1-31 and make sure my number blocks would work for every day. The bows that can be cut from these cartridges are awesomely cute and I just love them so much!! The flowers are my favorite though. So realistic looking!!






That is my desktop calendar, I hope you all enjoy it. Thanks for visiting my blog today!! Have a great Summer :D

1 comment:

  1. You, my dear, are brilliant! I love this idea! Chantilly is one of my all-time faves, too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments!