Friday, August 10, 2012

Art Philosophy Decorative Layer Feature

Hi! Welcome to our August Art Philosophy Blog Hop! 

Each month we will showcase a feature of the amazing Art Philosophy Cricut cartridge which can be purchased exclusively through a Close to My Heart Independent Consultant.

We're so excited to be doing this hop and we have a fabulous lineup with some very talented ladies. There will be lots of fun projects.

This month we will be showcasing the "Decorative Layer" (shift or no shift) feature of the cartridge.


If you just happened to come to this blog, you should start at the beginning at Lucy's blog - www.love2createitall.com.







Today I have decided to take a $1 wooden photo frame from Michaels and jazz it up a bit for a new baby gift! By adding pretty paper, ribbon and beautiful butterflies & flowers cut from the Close To My Heart Art Philosophy Cartridge we can turn it into something fantastic.

To start I used a purple paint to cover the sides and back of the frame - just to make it a little prettier all around. This is totally optional. Next I used mod podge and a sheet of pretty purple paper and glued the sheet down to the top of the frame. After making sure the paper is in place, I use a xacto knife to trim around the outside and the inside of the frame. I like use sand paper to smooth the edges of the paper where it meets the frame - it gives a nice distressed look. I cut some of the pretty hearts from the extra part of the paper and glued these on. The baby's room theme is Purple and Butterflies so I knew I had to add butterflies. I also stamped her name *Alyssa* down at the bottom using my CTMH The Works Alphabet stamp set and my CTMH Gypsy Ink Pad. I added a quick coat of mod podge on top to seal the frame.




I used the CTMH Art Philosophy Cricut Cartridge to cut some butterflies and I arranged them around the frame. Here's what makes the frame POP!! I added some metallic silver butterflies -it's the Layer Feature from page 55 in the Art Philosophy Cricut Cartridge manual- on top of the darker purple butterflies to give them a bit more definition! The small flowers on the bottom right are also from the Art Philosophy Cartridge.
* (yes I know, I totally messed up and was supposed to use the Decorative Layer!!)*



The final step is adding all the ribbon you see hanging at the bottom, add the ribbon at the top to hang this beautiful frame and adding the black paper I used to cover the regular cardboard backing that comes in the frame. The ribbon I hot glued. I cut 24" of ribbon per strip. I sort of had a pattern but mostly it was just to even distribute the ribbon using mostly the purple but I threw in some silver and white to keep it from being a purple overdose! The top part was actually just a short piece of ribbon "scrap" that I had laying in my ribbon scrap box. I saw the blue in the hearts and thought it would be a cute change of pace. Hot glued that on too. For the cardboard backing I just took a 12"x12" piece of paper and glued it down to the card board (front and back) and trimmed the top and bottom to fit perfectly. Nothing fancy there. 

Well that wraps up my project! If you have any questions feel free to leave them in the comments section or



The next stop on your blog hop fun is: Lucy ~ www.love2createitall.com/

Check out the rest of the CTMH Art Philosophy August Blog Hop and see other Decorative Layer Features from the Art Philosophy Cartridge by visiting the links here:

  1. Lucy ~ www.love2createitall.com/
  2. Darla ~ www.stampingunderdoctorsorders.blogspot.com
  3. Diana ~ www.dianasfreemoments.blogspot.com
  4. Wendy Kessler ~ www.myscrapbookingblog.com
  5. Eva~ www.loveofcreating.blogspot.com/
  6. Carolyn  ~ www.nuts4scrappin.blogspot.com
  7. Stephanie- www.quiltedscrapper.blogspot.com/
  8. Joanne - www.josiesjoy.blogspot.com
  9. Laura W.  www.scrappinsweetiesescape.com
  10. Kindred Hearts - www.itmakestotalcents.blogspot.com
  11. Pam Stewart - www.i-candy-scraps.blogspot.com
  12. Carolyn M - www.craftingwithcarolyn.blogspot.com <<<--- You Are Here.



14 comments:

  1. very very nice! My daughter really likes it and wants me to make her one now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the frames you made and how you popped it with the butterflies! My favorite touch is the ribbons on the bottom for an unusual touch that bring sit all alive! Well done! (fellow) Crafty Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! I used to make mums for homecoming and as gifts to new parents to welcome their little ones and one day a friend commented that she loved the mum but wish it had more use than just decoration. When my sister had her baby I decided to make one for her but added an inexpensive frame instead of the big mum on top. It had the same effect but was more "useful"!

      Delete
  3. The ribbons were the perfect touch and I love the butterflies. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Carolyn!! Great job!! Hugs, Gloria

    http://purpleglocreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your frame Carolyn! What a great way to take an inexpensive item and make it look so much more :) Love the purple color too! TFS

    Lucy
    http://love2createitall.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! I like the ribbons hanging down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty!!!! My daughter would love this, her favorite color is purple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eva! These frames are totally easy to make! The hardest part is giving them away! I love making these with ribbon for babies. OR Girly girls. My own daughter wouldn't have this hanging in her room - her favorite color is Yellow and she's more into sports than butterflies. I'm hoping to win her over with an idea brewing though. ;)

      Delete
  8. This is so beautiful Carolyn! Love the flowers and butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is wonderful! I might just need to lift this idea to make one for my daughters room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey there! This is a good read. You have such an interesting and informative page. You also have a very good choice of colors and a very good taste in art. I will be looking forward to visit your page again and for your other posts as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about decorative arts. I am glad to stop by your site and know more about decorative arts. Keep it up!
    The distinction between decorative and fine arts has essentially risen from the post-Renaissance art of the West, where it is for the most part meaningful. It is much less so when applied to the art of other cultures and periods, where the most highly-regarded works often include those in "decorative" media, or all works are in such media. For example, Islamic art in many periods and places consists entirely of the decorative arts, as does the art of many traditional cultures, and in Chinese art the distinction is less useful than in Europe. Even in Europe, the distinction is unhelpful for Early Medieval art, where although "fine arts" such as manuscript illumination and monumental sculpture existed, the most prestigious works, commissioned from the best artists, tended to be in goldsmith work, cast metals such as bronze or other techniques such as ivory carving. Large-scale wall-paintings were apparently much less regarded, relatively crudely executed, and rarely mentioned in contemporary sources; they were probably seen as a cheap but inferior substitute for mosaic, which in this period must be treated as a fine art, though in recent centuries contemporary production has tended to be seen as decorative. The term "ars sacra" ("sacred arts") is sometimes used for medieval Christian art in metal, ivory, textiles and other high-value materials from this period, though this does not cover the even rarer survivals of secular works.
    For over two decades Kaminski Auctions has sold important pieces of American and European furniture and decorative items, from prestigious names like Samuel McIntire, Herter Brothers, Horner Brothers, and Stickley.

    Decorative arts MA

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments!